From the News

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

How Canada’s New Study Permit Regulations Will Affect You

The Canadian study permit regulations were amended on 1st June 2014. 

The new regulations emphasize the importance of studying at a designated institution and provide international students with a clear path to Canadian permanent residence.

Enhanced Protection for Students

The changes provide enhanced quality and choice for international students as well as providing greater protection from poor quality schools and unethical education agents.

The changes reinforce Canada’s reputation as an attractive study destination which provides the best value tuition rates and most generous post-graduate work permit regime of any of the leading study destinations in the world – USA, UK, Australia and New Zealand.

Summary of Changes

The key changes are:

  • A study permit will only be issued to successful applicants who pursue studies at designated institutes.
  • A study permit will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks.
  • Only international students who are pursuing studies at a secondary school or at a designated institution may apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if a co-op placement is an essential part of their course of study.
  • Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada in certain circumstances.
  • Eligible international graduates will be authorized to work full-time after their studies are completed while awaiting their Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Apply Now!

Canada actively seeks to protect and retain it’s international graduates and provides them with a clear path to post-study work and permanent residence.

Sterling Immigration represent several designated institutions in some of the most livable cities in the world. Each course we recommend is eligible for the grant of a three-year post-graduate work permit giving you the chance to secure valuable employment experience and Canadian permanent residence.

Contact us today to enroll on a course of study in Canada!

Contact Us