From the News


Canadian Immigration for Actors, Acting Teachers and Drama Teachers

Canadian Visas for Actors

Dubbed as “Hollywood North”, Vancouver and Toronto are huge international film production centres.

Actors and comedians who have experience of performing roles in motion picture, television, theatre and radio productions may secure Canadian permanent residence.

To qualify for the Canada Self Employed visa, and Canadian permanent residence, you must prove that you have 2 years’ relevant self-employment experience as an actor in the 5-years immediately preceding the date of decision of your application (see below for a list of eligible job titles).

You must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. This is the most important element of this program and one that applicants completely overlook. A person’s financial assets may be a measure of intent and ability to establish self-employment in Canada.

Applicants are also assessed based on their education, experience, age, language ability, adaptability and ability to become established in Canada.

Significant Contribution

Applicants must not only meet the tests of experience, the regulatory definition of a self-employed actor, the tests of intention and ability to become self-employed, they must also meet the test of significant contribution to Canada. This test ensures that frivolous or weak applications will be refused.

Benefits of the Self-Employed Immigration Program

  • A job offer is not required.
  • No conditions on your status.
  • No need to purchase or establish a business before arrival in Canada
  • If successful, you and your family members will be granted Canadian Permanent Residence.
  • Fast processing time from the United Kingdom – 12 months or less.

Processing Time

Sterling immigration can secure experienced actors Canadian permanent residence within 12 months through the Canadian High Commission in London.

Eligible Occupations 

The list of eligible occupations includes acting teachers employed by private acting schools. If you have 2 years self-employed experience in one of the occupations below you may qualify for Canadian permanent residence:

  • acting teacher – private or studio
  • actor/actress
  • comedian
  • comic
  • diction coach
  • drama actor
  • drama coach
  • drama teacher – private or studio
  • dramatic arts teacher – private or studio
  • dramatic reader
  • extra, performing arts
  • film dubber
  • humorist – performing arts
  • improviser
  • mime
  • movie actor
  • narrator
  • reader – performing arts
  • standardized patient
  • stand-up comedian
  • story teller
  • straight man
  • voice coach
  • voice-over actor

Canadian Immigration for Actors

If you have 2 years self-employed experience in one of the occupations listed above we would like to hear from you.

Contact Us