From the News


Canadian Immigration for Conductors, Composers, Music Directors, Songwriters and Arrangers

Canadian Immigration for Conductors, Composers and Arrangers

Self-employed composers, conductors and arrangers who have significant experience conducting bands and orchestras, composing musical works and arranging instrumental and vocal compositions, may qualify for Canadian permanent residence.  

Qualifying for a Canadian Visa for Conductors, Composers and Arrangers

To qualify for a Canadian visa for broadcast technicians, you must prove that you have 2 years’ relevant self-employment experience as a conductors, composer or arranger in the 5-years immediately preceding the date of decision of your application (see below for a list of eligible job titles).

You must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. This is the most important element of this program and one that applicants completely overlook. A person’s financial assets may be a measure of intent and ability to establish self-employment in Canada.

Applicants are also assessed based on their education, experience, age, language ability, adaptability and ability to become established in Canada.

Significant Contribution

Applicants must not only meet the tests of experience, the regulatory definition of a self-employed composer or songwriter, the tests of intention and ability to become self-employed, they must also meet the test of significant contribution to Canada. This test ensures that frivolous or weak applications will be refused.

Benefits of Canadian Immigration for Conductors, Composers and Arrangers

  • A job offer is not required.
  • No conditions on your status.
  • No need to purchase or establish a business before arrival in Canada
  • If successful, you and your family members will be granted Canadian Permanent Residence.
  • Fast processing time from the United Kingdom – 12 months or less.

Processing Time

Sterling immigration can secure experienced actors Canadian permanent residence within 12 months through the Canadian High Commission in London.

Eligible Occupations 

The list of eligible occupations includes several related job titles. If you have 2 years self-employed experience in one of the occupations below you may qualify for Canadian permanent residence:

  • arranger
  • arranger, music
  • artistic director – music
  • artistic director, orchestra
  • author-composer-performer
  • band conductor
  • band director
  • bandmaster
  • chansonnier
  • choir director
  • choir leader
  • choirmaster
  • choral conductor
  • choral director
  • chorus master
  • composer
  • conductor
  • conductor, band
  • conductor, choral
  • conductor, orchestra
  • copyist – music
  • director, band
  • director, choir
  • director, choral
  • director, music
  • leader, choir
  • lyricist
  • maestro
  • master, chorus
  • motion picture musical director
  • music adapter
  • music arranger
  • music copyist
  • music director
  • music writer
  • musical director
  • musical director, motion picture
  • musical director, stage
  • musical director, television
  • orchestra artistic director
  • orchestral conductor
  • orchestrator
  • orchestrator-arranger
  • singer-songwriter-composer
  • songwriter
  • stage musical director
  • television musical director
  • writer, music
  • writer, songs
  • writer-composer-performer

Canadian Immigration for Composers, Conductors and Arrangers

If you have 2 years self-employed experience in one of the occupations listed above we would like to hear from you, please complete the form below. 

Contact Us