From the News


Canadian Immigration Solicitors in the UK

Following the Brexit vote the number of agents offering Canadian immigration services has multiplied. These agents dupe members of the public into believing that they are registered by the ICCRC, the organization which regulates Canadian immigration solicitors.

One key element of these companies is that they usually offer visa services for several countries such as Australia, Canadian, New Zealand, UK, USA, Malaysia, Denmark and many more. However, they aren’t regulated by the licensing body for any of these countries.

The Consequences of Hiring an Unlicensed Agent to Perform a Canadian Immigration Service

The consequences of hiring an unauthorised agent can be terrible for an Applicant. This includes not having a regulatory body to turn to in the event that there is a dispute between you and the agent.

If the agent makes an error in your application, then you won’t have insurance coverage to cover you for any financial losses you have sustained. If your file is lost, you are have no insurance coverage. If the agency collapses or goes bankrupt, you have no recourse to compensation.

In addition to this you are putting your future in the hands of an untrained and unqualified agent who will not be able to advise you regarding the subtle nuances of Canadian immigration law.

The primary goal of the unauthorised agent is to paint Canadian immigration as being fast and easy. They offer guaranteed results to ensure that you part with your hard-earned money.

Who can provide a Canadian Immigration Service?

You may only be represented by one of the following: 

  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society, although if you have issues like injury or death, you can check it out here to find the best lawyers for this.
  • Immigration solicitors who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
  • Quebec Notaries

These people are called “authorized” representatives. Citizenship & Immigration Canada will not deal with representatives who are not members of one of the above groups.

Who are the ICCRC?

The Immigration Solicitors of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is a Canadian government organization created with the objective to regulate Canadian immigration solicitors. Members are known as Regulated Canadian Immigration Solicitors or RCIC’s. Sterling Immigration are proud members of the ICCRC, our license number is R507916. 

How do I verify that a Canadian Immigration Solicitors Firm is a member of the ICCRC?

Each member will have a certificate of authorisation and a photo identity membership card. Their license number with begin with an “R” and be followed by 6 digits. you can also verify membership on the ICCRC website: Click Here

What is the ICCRC’s Licensing Process?

To practice Canadian immigration law a person must meet the following requirements:

  • Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Must pass a recognised Immigration Diploma Program at an approved Canadian institute.
  • Pass the ICCRC 3-hour licensing exam.
  • Establish a Canadian Registered Business/Federal Corporation.
  • Undergo extensive background examinations including police clearance, credit and insolvency checks.

All of these checks are designed to protect members of the public from receiving fraudulent or misleading Canadian immigration service.

How does a member of the ICCRC maintain their License?

All Regulated Canadian Immigration Solicitors must attend bi-monthly seminars and training events to keep up to date with changes in Canadian immigration law. Regulated Canadian Immigration Solicitors (RCIC’s) are required to abide by a strict Code of Professional Ethics and maintain errors and omissions insurance to ensure that you, the client, are protected.

Why should I use a Regulated Canadian Immigration Solicitor to represent me?

There are numerous benefits associated with utilising the services of a RCIC and serious risks associated with instructing an unauthorised agents to perform a Canadian immigration service. All Regulated Canadian Immigration Solicitors are required to hold professional indemnity insurance in the sum of $5 million CAD. In the event of dispute, you can contact the ICCRC who will request your file from your representative to ascertain if there was any negligence or wrongdoing. 

Under no circumstances should an unlicensed immigration agent be hired to provide Canadian immigration services. Anyone who retains an unlicensed immigration consultant does so at his or her own risk and will not be able to hold them to account for any errors or omissions they make in your application.

Who are the OISC?

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) is the regulatory authority for immigration solicitors who are authorized to represent members of the public in relation to British immigration law. Please note that Sterling Immigration are also regulated by the OISC to provide UK immigration advice (Reference Number F20170008). Please visit our dedicated UK immigration website.

Can a member of the OISC provide a Canadian immigration service?

OISC members ARE NOT authorized to provide any form of Canadian immigration service. They can only represent you in connection with British immigration applications and appeals. Solicitors who are members of the Law Society of England & Wales are also not authorized to provide a Canadian immigration service. Sterling Immigration are one of the only firms worldwide who hold the UK OISC and Canadian ICCRC designations. 

I Want More Information!

With so many questions it is important to seek answers from an experienced and impartial organization such as Sterling Immigration Ltd. and its ICCRC licensed Canadian immigration solicitors. Please contact us today to book a telephone consultation or personal consultation.

Contact Us