Canadian Common-Law Partner Visa
The Canadian Common–Law Partner Visa category is for applicants who have been in a durable relationship with a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident for a minimum of one year and who have amalgamated their financial affairs to a significant degree.
Awards and Accreditations
If you are in a relationship with a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and have lived together for at least 12 consecutive months, you may be eligible to submit an application for Canadian permanent residence through the Canadian common-law partner visa category. Please note that both same-sex and opposite sex couples are eligible for this visa.
Canadian Common-Law Partner Visa Requirements
- The relationship must be “durable and genuine.”
- The relationship must be “akin to a marriage”
- The couple must intend to live together in Canada.
- The couple must demonstrate that they have amalgamated their financial and social affairs to a “significant degree.”
- The Sponsor must be able to maintain and accommodate the applicant without recourse to public funds and sign an undertaking to provide for all of the applicant’s basic needs for a period of 3 years from the partner’s arrival in Canada.
- The foreign national must undergo health and character checks prior to their arrival.
- The sponsor must not be precluded from sponsoring a foreign national.
Conjugal Partner Visa
If you are in a relationship where you are unable to live with your partner due to circumstances beyond your control such as immigration barriers then you may still qualify for permanent residence. However, these types of applications are intended only for exceptional circumstances and will be highly scrutinized by visa officers. In complex cases such as these you must retain experienced immigration counsel.
Canada Common-Law Partner Visa Package
Our Canada common-law partner visa package includes the following:
- Detailed personal or telephone consultation,
- Advice regarding evidentiary requirements,
- Detailed eligibility assessment of the Canadian sponsor,
- Ensuring the relationship meets the statutory definition of a common-law partnership,
- Admissibility assessment for the foreign national,
- Guidance and representation with security and medical clearances,
- Completion of all legal forms and a minimum of three statutory declarations,
- Drafting of affidavits from witnesses attesting to the existence of the common-law relationship,
- Detailed legal submissions including all case law and policies in support of the application,
- Interview preparation at the Canadian High Commission where necessary,
- Tracking the status of your file and liaising with CIC until visa issuance, and
- Advice regarding post-landing procedures and residency obligations.
The legal and evidential requirements for entering Canada on a partner visa are becoming much tougher. With common-law partner visa applications being refusing in higher numbers and appeal waiting times increasing to 18 months, it is imperative that your application is well-prepared at the outset to ensure a successful outcome.
Sterling Immigration are committed to ensuring that you start an exciting new chapter in your family life quickly with minimal disruption and expense.