From the News


Who Can Represent Me With a Canadian Immigration Application?

There are dozens of unauthorized agencies offering Canadian Immigration Services in the United Kingdom. Many of these agencies only refer cases on to accredited Canadian immigration lawyers or consultants. Other companies use their UK immigration license (OISC or Law Society) to mislead the public into believing they are authorized to practice Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and American law!

The consequences of hiring an unauthorized agent can be terrible for an Applicant. This includes not having a regulatory body to turn to in the event that there is a dispute between you and the agent.

If the agent makes an error on your file then you won’t have insurance coverage to cover you for any financial losses you have sustained. If your file is lost you are have no insurance coverage. If the agency collapses or goes bankrupt you have no recourse to compensation.

In addition to this you are putting your future in the hands of an untrained and unqualified agent who will not be able to advise you regarding the subtle nuances of Canadian immigration law.

The primary goal of the unauthorized agent is to paint Canadian immigration as being fast and easy. They offer guaranteed results to ensure that you part with your hard-earned money.

Who can represent me with a Canadian immigration application or appeal?

Immigrate to Canada using the UK's only ICCRC Licensed Canadian Immigration Law Firm

You may only be represented by one of the following: 

  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society,
  • Immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
  • Quebec Notaries

These people are called “authorized” representatives. Citizenship & Immigration Canada will not deal with representatives who are not members of one of the above groups.

What is the ICCRC?

The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is a Canadian government organization created with the objective to regulate Canadian immigration consultants. Members are known as Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants or RCIC’s. Sterling Immigration are proud members of the ICCRC, our license number is R507916. 

How do I verify that a company or individual is a member of the ICCRC?

Each member will have a certificate of authorization and a photo identity  membership card. Their license number with begin with an “R” and be followed by 6 digits. You can also verify membership on the ICCRC website: Click Here 

What is the ICCRC’s Licensing Process?

To practice Canadian immigration law a person must meet the following requirements:

  • Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Must pass a recognized Immigration Diploma Program at an approved Canadian institute.
  • Pass the ICCRC 3-hour licensing exam.
  • Establish a Canadian Registered Business/Federal Corporation.
  • Undergo extensive background examinations including police clearance, credit and insolvency checks.
How does a member of the ICCRC maintain their License?

All Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants must attend bi-monthly seminars and training events to keep up to date with changes in Canadian immigration law. Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC’s) are required to abide by a strict Code of Professional Ethics and maintain errors and omissions insurance to ensure that you, the client, are protected.

Why should I use a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant to represent me?

There are numerous benefits associated with utilizing the services of a RCIC and serious risks associated with utilizing the services of unauthorized immigration agents. All Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants are required to hold professional indemnity insurance in the sum of $1 million CAD. In the event of dispute you can contact the ICCRC who will request your file from your representative to ascertain if there was any negligence or wrongdoing. 

Under no circumstances should an unlicensed immigration consultant be hired for a Canadian immigration case. Anyone who retains an unlicensed immigration consultant does so at his or her own risk and will not be able to hold them to account for any errors or omissions they make in your application.

Office of the Immigration Services CommissionerWho are the OISC?

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) is the regulatory authority for immigration consultants who are authorized to represent members of the public in relation to British immigration law. Please note that Sterling Immigration are also regulated by the OISC to provide UK immigration advice (Reference Number F20170008). Please visit our dedicated UK immigration website for further information. 

Can a member of the OISC represent me with my Canadian immigration application?

OISC members ARE NOT authorized to provide advice or representation in connection with Canadian immigration law. They can only represent you in connection with British immigration applications and appeals. Solicitors who are members of the Law Society of England & Wales are also not authorized to represent you with a Canadian immigration application or appeal. 

I Want More Information!

With so many questions it is important to seek answers from an experienced and impartial organization such as Sterling Immigration Ltd. and its ICCRC licensed Canadian immigration experts. Please contact us today to book a telephone consultation or personal consultation.


Contact Us