If you are planning on moving to Canada and have successfully navigated the Canadian immigration process you will have plenty of world class cities to choose to live in. Your choice will be guided by several factors including the local labour market, climate and cost of living.
In the first of our series of spotlights on Canadian cities, we will explore the city of Vancouver located in the province of British Columbia on the west coast of Canada.
Set against a stunning backdrop on Canada’s west coast, Vancouver frequently ranks as one of the most liveable cities in the world. Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and lush coastal mountains, Vancouver offers a unique blend of year round outdoor activities and urban excitement. You can relax on one of Vancouver’s pristine beaches, surf the Pacific Ocean or ski at Grouse Mountain all within 20 minutes of the city centre. In Vancouver there is something for everybody. There is no other city in the world like Vancouver.
With Canada ranked as the world’s best country in which to live by the United Nations and Vancouver winning numerous international awards for liveability, you will be living, working or studying in the best city in the best country in the world!
- Vancouver is a cosmopolitan city – almost 45% of its population was born overseas.
- Vancouver is a safe, clean, modern, sustainable city and will be the world’s greenest city by 2020.
- Vancouver has a very mild temperate climate with a long Mediterranean style summer.
- Vancouver has a diverse and vibrant economy providing lots of opportunities to work and study.
- You can go enjoy sandy beaches, the ocean and the North Shore Mountains all within a 20-minute radius of downtown.
- Vancouver is the 3rd largest film and television production centre in North America behind Hollywood and New York.
- Located close the the US border, Vancouver is an ideal location for trips to Seattle, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
- The most popular city in Canada for international students and one of the most popular worldwide.
- One of the most vibrant economies in Canada due to its natural resources, I.T. and film sector and excellent location on the pacific rim and west coast of North America.
- Most liveable city in the world 2002 – 2013 (The Economist Intelligence Unit).
- Most liveable city in the Americas every year from 2008 – 2015 (Mercer City Rankings).
- Stanley Park named the best park in the world 2013 and 2014 (Travellers’ Choice Awards).
- Dr Sun-Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden named best city garden 2012 – 2014 (National Geographic).
- Historic Gastown rated the fourth most stylish neighbourhood in the world 2012 (Complex Magazine)
- Vancouver is rated the best city for investment, second best for economic potential and third best city for infrastructure in the Americas (FDI: Cities of the Future).
Vancouver is a great place for:
- Relaxed West Coast living and outdoor lifestyle
- A multicultural experience in one of the world’s most popular study destinations
- A safe, clean city with excellent living standards and mild year-round weather.
- Access to the world’s greatest outdoor adventure and recreational opportunities.
- Easy access to the United States for sightseeing and adventure tours on the West Coast.
- Combining the ultimate west coast lifestyle with work, business or studies.
In the next article we will continue looking at the best places to live in Canada, with the spotlight being on Calgary.